|RYA seeks approval of new Articles of Association Changes proposed to ensure Sports Governance Code compliance. Since the RYA Board was formed in 2011 the sporting landscape has changed dramatically. All organisations seeking public funding for sport and physical activity must now meet new gold standards of governance, considered to be among the most advanced in the world. >>
Read full article here
The Board is the RYA's Board of Directors. It is comprised of a mix of non-executive and executive directors and it meets regularly to conduct its business. It is chaired by the Chairman of the RYA.
The Board operates alongside the Council in the governance of the Association. Its role is to supervise the management of the Association’s business and to discharge the responsibilities of the directors under the Companies Act.
The Chairman and Deputy Chairman of the RYA and the Chief Executive sit on the Board ex officio. A further five, non-executive directors are appointed on the basis of personal competencies either from amongst the members of Council and its main committees or through an open recruitment process. The Finance Director is normally appointed as a director by the Council.
The Board’s main duties are to:
- Develop long term Strategic Plans (in consultation with the Council);
- Approve the Annual Operating Plan;
- Approve operating budgets;
- Set subscription rates (in consultation with the Council); and
- Supervise risk management and safety matters for the Association.
Its workings are reported routinely to Council, and to the members of the Association through the Directors’ Report in the annual report and accounts document and at the Annual General Meeting.
Membership of the Board in 2016 - 2017
- Dave Williamson - Chairman of the RYA * #
- Vernon Harten-Ash - Deputy Chairman of the RYA * #
- Sarah Treseder - Chief Executive *
- Dave Strain - Finance Director
- Sarah Hanratty #
- Joanna Poulton #
- John Scott #
- Joe Seet #
* = ex officio # = non-executive
RYA Members who wish to have a copy of the Memorandum and Articles of Association should contact the Company Secretary at RYA House.
Find books for your course at the RYA Shop
Our handy guide shows the books & DVDs that go with your course!