Inland Waterways instructors 

Inland Waterways (IW) instructors need a wide experience and knowledge on the inland waters of the UK, preferably on a variety of craft.

Prior to the instructor course, candidates must fulfil the following criteria:

Health Declaration

You will be asked to sign a health declaration stating that you are not suffering from any physical or mental impaiment which has an adverse effect on your abililty to properly discharge your duty of care as an instructor.

If you are unable to sign the standard declaration, you will be required to complete this medical questionnaire.

The course may take place on canals or river ways, and we normally use a narrowboat, a barge or a cruiser.

“I was totally impressed with the amount we learned on the 2 day course and feel well equipped to progress with my instructing through the support of an established centre. The knowledge that my own boat handling skills were thoroughly tested gives me extra confidence in the credibility of the qualification.”

Course Dates - mainland UK

If you would like to book onto this course please complete the application form, stating your preferred date and return this to the RYA with copies of your certificates and the course fee of £420.

Dates for 2017

  • Lincolnshire Boat Services, Lincoln  17-18 May
  • Watercraft, Marlow  13-14 June (Full no spaces left)
  • Watercraft, Marlow 6-7 September (Full no spaces left)

Dates for 2018 - to be confirmed

Places will be allocated on a first come first serve basis. A place will only be given to you on receipt of the fully completed application form, payment and copies of all the required certificates.

For course dates and prices in Northern Ireland please contact Mary Farrell on    

As an RYA qualified instructor your qualification is only valid with an indate First Aid certificate and it is your responsibility to maintain this. You will only be able to teach RYA certified courses at an RYA recognised Training Centre.

More information here on Inland Cruising 

NOTE: Membership of the RYA (or the National Governing Body for your boating activity in your country of residence) is required in order for you to qualify or revalidate as an RYA instructor.

Contact Us

Article Published: May 19, 2009 13:31

Article Updated: August 14, 2017 13:33


Tagged with: Motor Boating, River Cruising

Use this button to spread the word...