The RYA has published the results of a study it commissioned to better understand the economic contribution recreational boating makes to the UK and English economy.
The RYA currently has over 110,000 personal members, mostly choosing to go afloat for purely recreational non-competitive pleasure on coastal and inland waters. There are an estimated further 500,000 boat owners nationally, the majority of whom are members of over 1,500 RYA affiliated clubs and class associations.
The RYA also sets and maintains an international standard for recreational boat training through a network of over 2,500 RYA recognised training centres in 55 countries. On average, over 250,000 people per year complete RYA training courses.
Whilst large, these numbers do not represent the total number of individuals participating in recreational boating in the UK; many, many more people are boaters and not directly linked to the RYA in any way. The Arkenford Watersports Participation Survey (undertaken annually by the RYA and others) estimated that nearly 3.5 million adults took part in boating activities in the UK in 2016.
The RYA commissioned an independent study which draws together economic data to help improve our understanding of the contribution recreational boating makes to the local and national economy: Economic Contribution of the Recreational Boater.
Studies relating to the economic contribution of boaters include:
- RYA, 2014. Economic Contribution of the Recreational Boater.
- RYA, 2015. Needles rMCZ Impact on recreational boating.
- RYA, 2016. Affiliated Club Membership Census Insights. Access through RYA Club Zone; RYA clubs only.
- Sport England, 2015. Getting Active Outdoors: A study of Demography, Motivation, Participation and Provision in Outdoor Sport and Recreation in England.
- Arkenford, 2016. Watersports Participation Survey: Summary Report.
- British Marine Boaters and Boat owners survey 2016. British Marine members only.
- British Marine, 2016. UK Marine Industry Trends November 2015 - June 2016. British Marine members only.
- British Marine, 2017. Key Performance Indicators for the Leisure, Superyacht & Small Commercial Marine Industry. British Marine members only.
Find books for your course at the RYA Shop
Our handy guide shows the books & DVDs that go with your course!