The RYA SafeTrx app monitors your boat journeys and alerts emergency contacts should you fail to arrive on time.
RYA SafeTrx is an app for both Android & Apple iOS smartphones that allows you to track your journey (in UK territorial waters) on your phone.
RYA SafeTrx provides all recreational boat users, particularly dinghy cruisers, PWC users, RIB users, canoers, kayakers, wind and kite surfers and smaller boat users with an easily accessible and simple to use means that can inform HM Coastguard of their voyage plans and dynamic location in the event of distress.
This app is freely available to anyone who wants to be safer afloat. It is free to download and there is no charge to use it.
How does it work?
You can enter your journey details directly from your smartphone and set off knowing that should you not arrive by the time given, a nominated emergency contact will be alerted and advised to initiate appropriate action.
Where an emergency contact calls HM Coastguard about an overdue trip, they will have access to your location and SafeTrx trip data through a secure SafeTrx server.
Since RYA SafeTrx periodically sends your location data back to our servers, the Coastguard's response team can get help directly to you, and quickly.
Whilst components of the GMDSS system remain the preferred means for communication and distress alerting, RYA SafeTrx is a useful backup and particularly helpful for those on the many small craft that do not have the ability to fit or carry standard GMDSS equipment.
It does not replace GMDSS, EPIRB, PLB or AIS.
Watch the SafeTrx Introduction Video
RYA SafeTrx features
RYA SafeTrx is more than a mobile vessel tracking application, it is also a practical tool that equips you with the knowledge to be safer at sea.
These features are available within the latest version of the app:
- Sail Plan mode records a starting point, a destination and an estimated time of arrival (ETA). It sends SMS messages to your emergency contact(s) if you exceed your ETA.
- Quickly start recording using the Track Only mode to begin tracking at a touch of a button. Change the recording interval to save on battery consumption when your tracking is in progress. Choose from continuous, 10 minute or 30 recording intervals. Review performance analytics after recording your track.
- Find nearby ports, their locations and contact details.
- Access VHF channel information for your planned route.
- Get familiar with lifeboat station locations for your planned route.
- Check UK Met Office sea area forecasts for your waypoints and destination.
- Check daily tidal information through the UKHO Admiralty EasyTide service.
Safety information and checklists
- Check the ‘Safety Information’ section for guidelines on: Levels of Buoyancy in Personal Flotation Devices, Equipment for UK Pleasure Vessels, Life Saving Signals, and SOLAS Regulations for Pleasure Craft
- Equipment and safety checklists for all types of water craft helps you better prepare for going on the water. Set up your checklists directly from the app.
- Review the various types of buoys as prescribed by IALA’s Aids to Navigation.
- Find the nearest VHF channels while out on the water based on your current location.
- Receive maritime safety messages and marine notices through the RYA SafeTrx app and SMS messages.
- Activate an emergency call to 999 without an active trip. When in UK waters, the app will automatically determine your location and direct the call to the UK emergency services.
Your profile and trip history
- Manage your profile, vessel, checklist and emergency contact information within the app.
- Keep a clean record of trips in ‘Trip History’ with the option to delete individual trips on the app.
RYA SafeTrx boater website
In addition to the features the app offers, users also have access to the RYA SafeTrx boater website - https://safetrx.rya.org.uk/. Here you can also manage your account, vessel details and emergency contacts, plus personalise checklists and review your trips.
RYA SafeTrx app can be downloaded from:
Requires Android’s OS 4.0 and above
Requires Apple’s iOS 7.0 and above
Instructions: getting started
- Download the RYA SafeTrx app
- Register on the RYA website if you have not done so previously, using your membership details if you are a member
- Login to the app with your website username and password
- Register your boat and emergency contact details
- Enter your trip details and ETA. Tap 'Set Sail'
- Arrive at destination, tap 'End Trip'
To avoid a false alert, ensure that you end your trip on arrival at your destination or extend the trip ETA time. Please also ensure you enter a valid mobile number for your emergency contacts.
If you are having any problems downloading or using the app visit the Frequently Asked Questions page
European SafeTrx User Group
The establishment of a European SafeTrx User Group has allowed the development team to work directly with those that are providing life-saving services at sea.
The RYA works closely with members of the User Group to directly influence the features and design of SafeTrx, with feedback facilitated through onsite workshops, conference calls and via a dedicated project management portal. Such cooperation and involvement with the User Group ensures the product remains relevant and always fit-for-purpose.
The application has picked up a number of awards in the US and in Ireland.
In the US, the Academy of Interactive and Visual Arts (AIVA) awarded SafeTrx the Silver Award of Distinction in the category for ‘Best Navigation/Maps on a Mobile App’ on behalf of the 2015 Communicator Awards. In addition, the SafeTrx website won Gold Award of Excellence for ‘Best Activist Website’.
In Ireland, SafeTrx picked up the Innovation in Maritime Safety Award at the inaugural Maritime Industry Awards 2015. In 2017, SafeTrx was awarded the Excellence in Marine Technology Award at the Maritime Industry Awards.
Find books for your course at the RYA Shop
Our handy guide shows the books & DVDs that go with your course!