Final spot in ilovesailing grand final secured
Karen Langston from Beccles claims winning photo for August
Karen Langston from Beccles in Suffolk has clinched the final spot in the grand final of the RYA’s ilovesailing Facebook photo and video competition.
Karen’s photo entitled ‘Loving sailing in the rain’ fought off some strong competition but the judges just loved this photo. Karen said of her win: “WOW I actually won the August ilovesailing Facebook photo competition! When I looked on the RYA ilovesailing page it put a huge smile on my face. I'm thrilled to have won the waterproof HD GoPro camera.
“I'm always by some stretch of water or other, looking for good or goofy shots and can only thank Rachael for her great pose whilst I was snapping away. I was just glad to be nice and dry in the club house whilst she was singing in the rain.
“I am looking forward to taking pictures and film with the GoPro. It will definitely be put to good use, as now the Beccles Amateur sailing club sailors can benefit from more 'on the water' shots.
“If my picture is chosen as the overall 2012 winner that would be a wonderful bonus. The prizes look fantastic. It would be great to have the signatures of the GBR sailing squad and the Neilson holiday sounds breathtaking.”
August’s runner up was Matthew Barraud, from Plymouth, for his photo from a sail training trip he took two years ago. He was the skipper of the trip and commented ‘the crew had a great time!’ as can be seen from the photo.
View Matthew’s photo at https://www.facebook.com/RYAILoveSailing?ref=hl#!/photo.php?fbid=10151023187963786&set=o.298756330172477&type=3&theater
The final, the prizes
With Karen securing the August win all eyes now turn to the grand final to be held at the PSP Southampton Boat Show in Saturday 22 August (12.00, RYA Stand EO37).
Up for grabs is fantastic money can’t buy prize package consisting of:
- Two week Neilson Teos Beach cub holiday for two people
- A day of personal training with an RYA coach
- 13 ilovesailing ducks signed by the 2012 Team GB Olympic and Paralympic sailors
- Ilovesailing deck chair signed by the 2012 Team GB Olympic and Paralympic sailors
- Skandia Team GBR goodie bag including - baseball cap, t.shirt, lanyards, keyrings, pens and shopping bag
- RYA good bag including - ipad screen cleaner tool, keyrings, luggage tags, business card holders, waterproof bag, shopping bag, Prosport sunscreen
Check out the prizes at: https://www.facebook.com/RYAILoveSailing#!/media/set/?set=a.413645068683602.89375.298756330172477&type=1
“The overall winner will come away with a completely unique prize package”, explained ilovesailing manager Graham Manchester. “The signed ducks and director’s chair are quite simply one-off’s and to win them in an Olympic year is something to be treasured.
“The judges will really have their work cut out for them having to choose just won to claim the winners’ title.”
The ilovesailing finalists are:
- January winner – Graham Fraser from Plymouth
- February winner – Simon Paterson from Moray
- March winner – Andy Nutton from Suffolk
- April’s winner – Lisa Metcalfe from Cleveland
- May’s winner – Gavin Saunders from Falmouth
- June’s winner – Scaling Dam Sailing Club Junior Section, North Yorkshire
- July’s winner – David Ayre
- August’s winner – Karen Langston from Suffolk
All the finalists have been invited to attend the grand final at the PSP Southampton Boat Show to be the first to hear if they have won the overall prize.
Our judging panel is made up of respected marine photographer Paul Wyeth; Andrew Parry from Neilson, ilovesailing manager Graham Manchester and Heather Taylor from Sport England.
Let us know who you think should win
You can view all the winning entries at: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.408978029150306.88099.298756330172477&type=3 click ‘like’ to show us who you think should win!