Start line secrets with British Sailing Team's Nick Thompson
Latest RYA Dinghy Show video interview avaliable to view
The latest RYA Dinghy Show video interview is now available to view. This month, British Sailing Team sailor, Nick Thompson shares his start line secrets and essential preparations, following his extremely popular ‘Getting a good start’ coaching session at the RYA Dinghy Show back in March.
Interviewed by Paralympic Gold medallist Helena Lucas, Laser sailor Nick explains what beginners should be looking for when watching racers line up for the start and shares his top tips for getting the best start, including ensuring you get your preparations done early so you know where you want to be when the three minute gun goes off. Nick goes on to share his own start line preparations and walks us through a start procedure.
You’ll also hear about some of the interesting questions he was asked at the show during his talk and how to balance the risks and rewards for a good start. This is the second in a series of nine monthly video interviews filmed at the RYA Dinghy Show 2013 with a new video being issued each month focusing on one of the main stage talks or coaching area sessions with the presenters answering questions relating to their talks.
The interviews will be available to view on the RYA Dinghy Show website www.dinghyshow.org.uk and Facebook page www.Facebook.com/ryadinghyshow
- June - Hear from 2012 Olympic silver medallist Luke Patience and Joe Glanfield, double Olympic silver medallist, on their new partnership campaigning for Rio 2016
- July - Nick Thompson explains how you can get more from your Laser
- August - Dinghy cruiser Ralph Roberts talks about the joys of dinghy cruising and things you need to consider when choosing a good cruising dinghy and making preparations for your trip
- September -The RYA’s Sport Development Manager Jon White and Jayne Morris from Club of the Year finalists’ Salcombe YC, chat about the Club of the Year competition
- October - Dinghy historian David Henshall takes you through the 50 year history of the Mirror dinghy
- November - RYA Physio Matt McGovern provides a few quick exercises you can do at home during the winter months to keep you sailing fit
- December - Duncan Truswell, RYA Youth Development manager, sheds some light on the RYA’s youth and junior racing programmes
Also available to view is ‘Getting a good start with Helena Lucas’ - http://youtu.be/sLI_CudBzH0
The RYA Dinghy Show 2014 takes place at Alexandra Palace, London over the weekend of 01-02 March.
Find out more about the RYA Dinghy Show at www.dinghyshow.org.uk