Maintaining or growing your club membership is a challenge faced by most clubs. One successful strategy for growth, which many clubs have employed, has been to focus on providing a strong base for ongoing junior activity in order to generate increased family membership. OnBoard is about sailing and windsurfing clubs and centres teaching more children to sail and about keeping them involved in sailing, for life. Actively bringing more young people into sailing and windsurfing, OnBoard is providing clubs (that are dinghy or windsurfing RYA Training Centres) with the opportunity to adopt a local school or youth organisation. You decide who to adopt, when you'll run activities and how you will integrate young people into your club. By taking sailing to young people you are opening up access to the sport and securing the long term future of sailing in your area.
What are the Benefits?
· Sustain or grow your membership base by attracting new sailors
· Develop or further develop existing junior club activities for your club
· Underpin current youth race training activities
· Increase your volunteer base
· Improve your club's chances of securing public funding
· Improve your club's profile in the local area
· Become a successful and vibrant club
Clubs signed up to OnBoard will receive:
· An allocation of Gill clothing for volunteers running OB youth activities
· Local expert advice on junior activities, club facilities and equipment
Does OnBoard mean our club has to run sailing during school hours?
No, not unless your club wants to. Most clubs run evening and weekend sailing sessions as part of normal club activities and sometimes during school holidays.
Do we have to be an RYA Training Centre to be involved?
Yes, even to signpost sailing sessions through a school, the teachers need to be happy that you are running safe and credible activities. By being recognised by the RYA you are working within accepted national standards.
How can my club get involved?
If you’re interested in getting OnBoard then your club/training centre can complete an application form by working with your local Regional Development Officer (RDO) or Sailing Development Officer (SDO). Contact your RDO who will help you or introduce you to your local SDO.
Find books for your course at the RYA Shop
Our handy guide shows the books & DVDs that go with your course!