RDO talks Rio, sharing your photos, Vital Signs and more
Hope you all had a good Easter and have seen lots of people take advantage of your holiday and early season courses.
The countdown to Rio is on! And one of the best things about the time difference for this Olympics and Paralympics is sailing happens at a very sociable hour British Summer Time :)
Rio is four hours behind the UK so the 1300hrs scheduled start times for each day of Olympic racing between 8-18 August equals 1700hrs here, with racing continuing throughout the evening. No warning signal will be made after 2100 for an opening series race or 2030 for a medal race during the Olympics. Timings are similar for the six days of Paralympic racing from 12-17 September.
So what could you be doing to capture the Olympic buzz at your club and to throw your support behind the British Sailing Team sailors representing TeamGB in Rio? Could you...
- Get a big screen (or at least a decent sized TV!) in your clubhouse to show the racing and have the bar open to get people down to watch it?
- Run informal taster sessions or 'open' evenings for locals to enjoy a sail and watch the racing (while having it explained to them!)?
- Theme club racing nights and give post-racing drinks a bit of a samba flavour?
- Host a Rio themed social and serve up the tastes of Brazil on a BBQ?
- Open your doors earlier to capture the post-work crowd?
- Run fun racing rules sessions with a volunteer commentator explaining rules and decisions as the racing's going on?
- Heaps more!
Whatever you do, it would be a massive shame not to do something.
To the right are the schedule and Notice of Races for the Games. And don't forget to keep us posted about what you're up to so we can share it with the rest of the world (and even the British Team Sailors).
Pictures say a thousand words
As the season gets underway in earnest it seems like a perfect time to remind everyone how much we want to see your photos and videos this year.
Seeing what you're up to, and how much people are enjoying life at your club, helps us capture the real essence of sailing in the Midlands and share it with the people we want to reach.
So when you do post new stuff on your Facebook and Twitter pages don't forget to tag us and if you don't follow us already, what are you waiting for!
We are at RYA Midlands on Facebook and @RYAMidlands on Twitter and use #SailMidlands
Don't Forget - Vital Signs Survey
There is still time to complete the RYA Vital Signs Survey aims to find out more about, and better understand the challenges you face to help inform the RYA's actions to help protect your future, facilities and access to boating waters. You can read what it all means and how to complete the survey via the 'What Challenges Do You Face?' link to the right.
Find books for your course at the RYA Shop
Our handy guide shows the books & DVDs that go with your course!