Entries are now open for the British Youth Sailing (BYS) Regional Junior Championships which will be taking place at venues nationwide this September.
The regattas aim to be inclusive for young sailors and windsurfers of all abilities and clubs are invited to share the details with their junior sections and parents.
Adam McGovern, Regional Development Officer for RYA North West, explains: “It’s a fantastic opportunity for the kids from your club to go away and have a really good weekend on the water with their friends to finish off the summer season.
“There’s something for everyone at the BYS Regional Junior Championships and it’s also a chance for young sailors and windsurfers to experience a different stretch of water and for those from smaller clubs, to visit a big venue. It’s all about having fun and learning something new.
“Another key message for clubs is that you may want to encourage your junior sailors and parents to come along as a group so they have the experience together because this will help to make it a memorable weekend away for them and a great staycation!”
The events will again cater for all skill levels from rookies to experienced racers, offering OnBoard, Regatta and Championship fleets as follows:
- Championship: For experienced racers and also a must-do indicator event for those wishing to be considered for selection to the BYS Regional Training Groups 2021-22.
- Regatta: For those who want to take part in racing with the support of British Youth Sailing coaches to help them develop their skills.
- OnBoard: For those aged 8-13 who are just starting out at their clubs and at a Stage 2+ level. Led by RYA instructors with lots of ‘games with aims’ – participants can bring their own boat or use a boat provided by the host venue, and enter for just the Saturday or for the whole weekend, making it super-easy to take part!
Along with prizes for event winners, there will be club trophies plus a range of prizes for sailors exhibiting British Youth Sailing Values and Behaviours and showing a passion for the sport.
John Merricks Sailing Trust (JMST) will also be awarding a boat or board to at least one promising young sailor or windsurfer selected from each of the nine BYS Regional Junior Championship events.
Find out more about the JMST scheme here and for all the details about the BYS Regional Junior Championships, including Notice of Race and entry, visit www.rya.org.uk/events/racing-events
WHEN & WHERE
Events will take place at various venues primarily over the weekend of 25-26th September 2021 for junior sailors, with separate dates the weekend before, 18-19th September, for windsurfers. For junior sailors, the venues and classes are:
- South & South West: Weymouth & Portland National Sailing Academy - Championship Fleet (Optimists, Toppers, RS Feva XL, Tera Sport); Regatta Fleet (Optimists, Toppers, Tera); OnBoard Fleet.
- East Region: Grafham SC - Championship Fleet (Optimists, Toppers, RS Feva XL, Tera Sport, Cadets, ILCA 4); Regatta Fleet (Optimists, Toppers, Tera Sport); OnBoard Fleet.
- London & South East: Queen Mary SC – Championship Fleet (Optimists, Toppers, RS Feva XL, Tera Sport); Regatta Fleet (Optimists, Toppers, Tera Sport); OnBoard Fleet.
- North Region (NE & NW): Derwent Reservoir SC - Championship Fleet (Optimists, Toppers, RS Feva XL, Tera Sport); Regatta Fleet (Optimists, Toppers, Tera Sport); OnBoard Fleet.
- Midlands: Carsington SC - Championship Fleet (Optimists, Toppers, RS Feva XL, Tera Sport) plus Handicap and Sailability fleets; Regatta (Optimists, Toppers, Tera Sport); OnBoard Fleet.
- Scotland: Loch Tummel SC – Championship Fleet (Optimist, Topper), Regatta Fleet, Windsurfing Fleet.
- Wales: Plas Heli Welsh National Sailing Academy – Championship Fleet (Optimist, Topper, Tera Sport, General Handicap); Regatta Fleet. Find out more about this event here.
- Northern Ireland: Carrick Fergus YC – RYANI Youth Championships – 11-12 September.
BYS Regional Junior Windsurfing Championships will take place at:
- South & South West: Weymouth & Portland National Sailing Academy, 18-19th September, coaching on Saturday, Racing on Sunday.
- East and London & South East: Datchet Water SC, 18th September.
- North Region (NE & NW), Midlands & Wales: Glossop SC, 18th September.
The deadline for entering the BYS Regional Junior Championships is 12th September (Windsurfers) and 19th September (Dinghies). For Wales and NI see above links, for all other events enter at: www.rya.org.uk/events/racing-events