The volunteers were nominated for their awards by their clubs and selected as winners by the RYA Honours and Awards Panel. They were be presented at One Great George Street, London on Friday 22 November.
The RYA is boating’s national governing body and the Volunteer Awards are considered the ‘MBEs' of the sport, honouring people throughout the UK for their outstanding contributions across all the disciplines the RYA represents, including sailing, windsurfing, motor cruising, inland waterways and personal watercraft.
The award winners were:
Francis Elkin Award
- Jan & Richard Gaskell, Westbere Sailing Opportunities and Westbere Frostbite Sailing Association
Lifetime Commitment Awards:
- Juliet Brecknell, Chichester Yacht Club
- Clive Eplett, Frensham Pond Sailing Club
- Richard Hart, Dockland Scout Project
- Richard, Hayden, The Mariners of Bewl
- Bruce Hebbert, British Schools Dinghy Racing Association
Outstanding Contribution Awards:
- Alan Markham, Upper Thames Sailing Club
- Jeremy Riley, Papercourt Sailing Club
- David Tugwell, Datchet Water Sailing Club
- Tony Woods, Queen Mary Sailing Club
Bruce Hebbert said of the awards ceremony: “It was an extraordinary day, and a great honour to be with people from all over the UK who have contributed so much time and effort to share their love of sailing with others."
Richard Hayden added: “I was honored to have been nominated, and delighted to have been presented this award. It was a privilege to spend a lovely day amongst people from all parts of the UK who are equally passionate about sailing."
Nominations are now invited for the 2020 RYA volunteer awards, visit www.rya.org.uk/go/volunteerawards