The nationwide ï¿½have-a-goï¿½ campaign gives all comers the chance to get on the water for free or low cost over nine days from Saturday 14 to Sunday 22 May, so get the dates in your diary now!
In Cumbria sessions are available at:
- Bassenthwaite Sailing Club - you can try sailing, canoeing and keel boating on the afternoon/evening of May 14 and all day the following weekend (21-22 May).
- Killington Sailing Association offer the afternoon of 22 May (pre-booking advised) and ask for a donation to Sailability, the RYA scheme for sailors with disabilities.
- Roa Island Boating Club have free taster sessions on the mornings of both 21 and 22 May.
- South Windermere Sailing Club have an all-day session on Saturday 21 May
- Ullswater Yacht Club have free tasters, ideally pre-booked, on Saturday 14 May
- Whitehaven Sailing & Boating Association ask you 'join for a day' for their taster on Saturday 21 May
- Glenridding Sailing Centre advise booking for low cost taster sessions on 22 May.
- Derwent Water Marina are offering pre-booked half price tuition on the morning of 21 May
- Windermere Outdoor Adventure Centre have a low-cost session on Sunday 22 May
More than 65,000 people have discovered the sport through Push the Boat Out since its launch in 2012. Nationally, 2015 Push the Boat Out saw almost 28,500 newcomers attend events at almost 350 locations across the UK.
With the British Sailing Team sailors amongst the Worldï¿½s best, sailing always enjoys a boost in Olympic years and Push the Boat Out is a great way to discover a new outdoor sport to enjoy this summer. This year, over 300 venues have signed up, so make sure you donï¿½t miss this opportunity to get afloat.
Duncan Truswell, RYA Sport Development Manager, said: ï¿½Over the past four years Push the Boat Out has enabled thousands of people who may never have even considered giving sailing a go the chance to try the sport. Many of these have since become club members and volunteers and are inspiring others to follow their lead and try the sport.ï¿½
Clubs and centres continue to get better and better at providing a warm welcome, and we are really excited for this yearï¿½s Push the Boat Out, which Iï¿½m sure will prove even more popular. 2016 is gearing up to be the perfect year to get into sailing.ï¿½
Want to know how you can Push the Boat Out in May? www.rya.org.uk/go/ptbo