The aims of the course were to give participants the knowledge and confidence to enable disabled people to:
- Feel welcomed, included and engaged.
- Be able to take part.
- To share in a passion for sailing and boating.
……and by the end of the course participants had:
- A set of frameworks, principles and models to engage people to be active and take part.
- Considered some of the barriers that may exist and how to remove them
- Explored a variety of common scenarios
Sarah Sibley, London and South East Disability Development Officer, said: “It was great to see so many people coming out on a cold windy Saturday in January. There was a really good mix of experiences in the room and some interesting discussions followed.
“Everyone went away with a greater understanding of disability and how to respond and react to different scenarios. Feedback was that the course was really useful and informative.”
Find out more about the RYA Disability Awareness Course