The RYA is today advising boaters in or visiting Denmark that the country has recently introduced compulsory liability insurance for watercraft for which, under the Danish regulations, a certificate of operation is required (i.e. personal watercraft and speed boats).

The operator of the boat is responsible for taking out the compulsory insurance. The insurance must be provided by a company which is a member of the Danish association of insurance companies.

The operator of the boat must have an insurance certificate that includes details of the owner of the boat, the boat’s hull number and information on the expiry date of the insurance.

The insurance certificate must be presented to the Danish authorities at their request.

The Danish Cruising Association and the Danish Sailing Association have highlighted that the new insurance requirements apply to foreign boats as well as Danish craft and are offering to assist boaters that need to take out the required liability insurance.

Further information, including details about which boats require this new insurance can be found in the flyer published by the Danish Cruising Association and the Danish Sailing Association.

RYA members regularly benefit from expert advice and guidance on boating abroad from our dedicated Cruising team.

If you have a problem, question or issue about boating our expert staff are here to help. You'll also be able to save time, trouble and cost accessing the members' only area of our website where you can get further information and download useful documents.

Join today and support the RYA in protecting your boating rights and freedoms.  Find out more by calling 023 8060 4159, email or visit