Sailing clubs across Yorkshire and the North East region will be inviting people to 'Push the Boat Out' and get on the water this May.
The national Push the Boat Out (PTBO) campaign, run by the RYA, will see events taking place at more than 25 venues, offering free or low cost taster sessions to help people have a go at sailing and windsurfing.
The aim is to make it as easy as possible for all ages to take part and try a new watersport, and open days will include:
- Kielder Water Sailing Club, Tower Knowe, Kielder Water, Northumberland - Saturday 4th & Sunday 5th May
- River Aln Boat Club, Riverside Road, Alnmouth, Northumberland - Saturday 4th & Sunday 5th May
- Sunderland Yacht Club, Old North Pier, Sunderland, Tyne and Wear - Saturday 4th May
- Tees & Hartlepool Yacht Club, West Harbour, Hartlepool - Saturday 11th May
- Coquet Shorebase Trust, Druridge Bay Country Park, Morpeth, Northumberland - Saturday 18 May
- Derwent Reservoir Sailing Club, Blanchland, Consett, Co-Durham - Saturday 25th May
- York RI Sailing Club, Bishopthorpe, York - Wednesday 1st May
- Ripon Sailing Club, Knaresborough - Saturday 11th May
- Scarborough Yacht Club, Lighthouse, Vincent Pier - Saturday 11th May
- Scaling Dam Sailing Club, Whitby Moor Road, Easington - Sunday 12th May
- Thornton Steward Sailing Club, nr Bedale - Sunday 12th May
- Filey Sailing Club, Arndale Landing, Filey - Saturday 18th May
- Yorkshire Dales Sailing Club, Grimwith Reservoir, Hebden - Saturday 18th May
- Whitby Yacht Club - Saturday 18th May: open evening at the club house
Monday 27th May: sailing from Whitby Marina
- White Rose Sailing Association, Givendale, Newby Hall, Ripon - Sunday 19th May
- North Lincolnshire and Humberside Sailing Club, Barton-upon-Humber - Saturday 11th May
- Royal Yorkshire Yacht Club, Blyth Park site at Wilsthorpe, Bridlington - Saturday 18th May & Sunday 19th May
- Welton Waters Adventure Centre, Welton, North Humberside - Monday 27th May
- Ulley Sailing Club, Ulley Country Park, Aughton, Sheffield - Saturday 4th May
Sheffield Viking Sailing Club, Damflask Reservoir,
Loxley Road, Sheffield - Saturday 11th May
- Pennine Sailing Club, Winscar Reservoir, Dunford Bridge - Sunday 12 May
- Rotherham Sailing Club, Harthill Reservoir, Sheffield - Sunday 19 May
- Denholme Sailing Club, Doe Park, Denholme, nr Bradford - Saturday 4th May
- Scammonden Water Sailing Club, Huddersfield - Saturday 11th May
- West Riding Sailing Club, Wintersett, Wakefield - Saturday 11th May
- Yeadon Sailing Club, Yeadon Tarn - Saturday 11th May
- Otley Sailing Club will be at the Otley Show - Saturday 18th May
- Halifax Sailing Club, Warley Moor, nr Halifax - Sunday 19th May
Find the dates and full details of your nearest event at www.rya.org.uk/ptbo and get on board for a new adventure!
Sailing offers the freedom of being afloat, the challenge and achievement of learning a new skill, and a chance to make new friends, while for children it can develop heaps of positive life skills, like confidence, independence and teamwork.
Sam Usher, RYA North East Regional Development Officer, said: “There has never been a better time to get active afloat. With so much focus on physical and mental wellbeing, being on the water gives all ages a chance to get away from screen time and the stresses of modern life to have fun with friends or family and enjoy being out in the fresh air."
RYA Programmes Manager, Michelle Gent added: “We are delighted that for the second year running, Push the Boat Out will be returning for the whole of May. These events are a fantastic day out for the whole family and a brilliant opportunity to have a go at a watersport. Whether you’re a complete beginner, or a former sailor or windsurfer looking to get back on the water, find out what’s going on in your local area and get involved!"
All kit and safety equipment is provided so just bring a pair of old trainers you don’t mind getting wet and your sense of fun. Refreshments will be also be available at many venues, with a host of shore-side activities and entertainment to enjoy too.
Last year, more than 39,000 people across the UK attended a PTBO open day, inspiring thousands of new sailors to join their local club.
Find out more about the Push the Boat Out campaign and events near you at www.rya.org.uk/ptbo.