British Youth Sailing
Providing opportunities for young dinghy sailors and windsurfers to develop their racing talent towards Olympic Classes sailing, the RYA's British Youth Sailing programme is the envy of the world!
Now that the UK Government have
allowed sailing as a form of exercise, for those of you wishing to go out onto
the water, we would like to draw your attention to the RYA’s
Guidance and Government advice.
Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport (DCMS) has issued the
following guidance for the public, providers of outdoor sport facilities, elite
athletes, personal trainers and coaches on the phased return of sport and
We would strongly suggest you
only access the water through your local sailing club and remember the core
- Be conservative, and
- Have fun
It will have been a long time
since you or your boat has been on the water so be prepared.
- 2020 Youth Sailing World Championships update: We have withdrawn the Notice of Selection for
the 2020 Youth Worlds in Brazil as the event has been cancelled by World
Sailing. More details can be found here.
- RYA Youth Summer Programme - Important announcement:
Due to the government restrictions, all
parts of the programme have been unable to train and compete consistently over
the last couple of months and we think the sport, and individuals, will still
continue to be challenged and restricted in the future months. With this in
mind, we feel that it would be unfair to select Summer Teams, as we do not have
enough robust information or any confirmed competitions structure this summer. We
will look to be more inclusive in our support and resource over the coming
months, by providing online 'Zoom' sessions to the Classes rather than Winter 2019/20 squads.
Please look out for Class sign-up sheets that will be circulated to the Classes over the next week. We appreciate that this news, may be upsetting, however we believe this is the
right decision in the current circumstances until we have the opportunity to
select with robust data.
- Update 03/04/20: RYA Youth National Championships 2020 Following the recent postponement of the RYA Youth National
Championships 2020 due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the RYA have
considered a number of options for the future running of this event.
Whilst we understand it is not currently possible to make
any firm plans for 2020, the intention is to run a 4 day RYA Youth National
Championships in Plas Heli 24th - 27th October for the
420, 29er, Laser Radial & Techno. It is highly likely that this event would be the selection
event for the World Sailing 2020 Youth World Championship and would form part
of the selection for any 2020/21 RYA Youth Squads. The remaining youth class RYA Youth Nationals would then be
run alongside an enlarged Olympic Classes National Ranker at WPNSA 30th
Oct – 1st Nov. These classes would include:
Kitefoil, Foiling Windsurf, Laser Standard (dependant on what UKLA
qualifiers are running) Nacra 15 (dependant on the class position with
regard to any European Championships).
There would be no pre-event equipment inspection at these
events but post-race equipment inspection will take place during the events.
Education and support around equipment inspection will be delivered through the
#sailfromhome initiative to help sailors prepare for future pre-event and
post-race equipment inspection at International Events.
- #SailFromHome - resources can be found here.
- Techno International Competition Support policy has now been published. Click HERE to view.
- RS:X UK Youth Squad is changing. Click here for more info.
- BYS Values & Behaviours - can be found here
- RYA UK Youth Squads - for the latest Selection policies, including application open date and information please click here
- Laser 4.7 Junior Squad - Winter squad now finished. Summer team not being selected due to Covid-19. Winter 2020/21 will become a Regional Training Group, see below
- Regional Training Groups - for the latest policies including application open date and information, please click here
- New "Guide to finding a coach" for parents can be found here