The RYA Zone Programme explained.
We have changed the name of the Zone Championships to try to truly reflect the nature of the event to British Youth Sailing Regional Junior Championships. At this event we will be running three fleets, Championship Fleet, Coached Regatta Fleet and OnBoard Fun Fleet. The event as a whole is a festival for all junior sailors who are learning to sail in club boats, through to squad sailors in Recognised Junior Classes. With the three different fleets there should be something for your level of sailing. Along with prizes for event winners, there will be a range of prizes for sailors exhibiting the British Youth Sailing Values and Behaviours and showing a passion for the sport. There is also the Club Trophy for the club that has the most entries at the event. As usual it will be held over the last weekend in September, 28th 29th at venues around the country. Entry will open in July and last entries by 22nd September.
So which fleet should you be sailing in at Regional Junior Championships?
- Championship Fleet:
- Prizes for Top Girls and Boys and Regional Champion.
- Racing fleet for each of the BYS Recognised Junior Classes.
- Sailors may be also competing at regional open meetings.
- May stay afloat all day.
- This fleet is still an indicator for those who want to apply for Zone squads
- Coached Regatta Fleet
- For sailors who can sail around a triangle course and want to start racing.
- This fleet will be run by Zone coaches or the equivalent and will be a brilliant learning experience for sailors who want to improve their racing skills.
- Racing in BYS Recognised Classes.
- Preparation for Championship Fleet next year.
- Prizes for BYS Values and Behaviours as well as results.
- OnBoard Fun Fleet
- Run for newer sailors.
- Led by local OnBoard instructors.
- A regional end-of-season OnBoard festival filled with games, sailing all types of boats and heaps of OnBoard club camaraderie.
- Sailing in any suitable class of dinghy
- Ideally under 13 aged sailors
- 1 or 2 day entry
- An end of year regatta for Onboard sailors
The venues and classes are as follows:
South & South West Regions Junior Championships - WPNSA
Championship Classes - Optimist, Topper, RS Tera (Sport Rig), RS Feva XL, Windsurfers, Coached Regatta Fleet - Optimist, Topper, RS Feva (white sails only), RS Tera OnBoard Fun Fleet - ASWC providing RS Zest boats plus Windsurfers
East Region Junior Championships - Burnham
Championship Classes - Topper, Optimist, Cadet, RS Feva XL, RS Tera (Sport Rig) Coached Regatta Fleet - Topper, Optimist, RS Feva XL, Rs Tera (Sport Rig) OnBoard Fun Fleet - Suitable appropriate dinghy
London & South East Region Junior Championships - tbc
Championship Classes - Topper, Optimist, RS Feva XL, RS Tera (Sport Rig) Coached Regatta Fleet - Topper, Optimist, RS Feva XL, RS Tera (Sport Rig) OnBoard Fun Fleet - Suitable appropriate dinghy
North Region Junior Championships - Derwent Reservoir SC
Classes - Optimist, Topper, RS Tera (Sport Rig), RS Feva XL Coached Regatta Fleet - Optimist, Topper, RS Tera (Sport Rig) OnBoard Fun Fleet - Tbc
Midlands Region Junior Championships - Draycote SC
Classes - Optimist, Topper, Windsurfers, RS Feva XL, RS Tera (Sport Rig) Coached Regatta Fleet - Topper, Optimist, RS Tear (Sport Rig) OnBoard Fun Fleet - boats supplied
Scottish Regional Junior Championships - Dalgety Bay 21/22 September 2019
Welsh Regional Junior Championships - tbc
Northern Ireland Regional Junior Championships - Strangford Lough YC 21/22 September 2019
To enter the event please go to http://www.rya.org.uk/racing-events/Pages/hub.aspx
For JMST information please see selection policy and information pages
Find books for your course at the RYA Shop
Our handy guide shows the books & DVDs that go with your course!