As the representative voice of boating, the RYA follows clear principles, set out in the RYA Manifesto, in working to defend your rights of public navigation.
The RYA believes that the public right of navigation is paramount and is fundamental to these principles. Former RYA Communications Manager Louise Nicholls talks about why we have produced the RYA Manifesto.
Read the RYA Manifesto in full
RYA Membership - Your Route to Expert Advice
In addition to the information and advice available on the RYA website RYA members and affiliated clubs can gain more in-depth advice from RYA experts on boating related issues including:
- Buying and selling your boat
- VAT and documentation
- Cruising abroad, motor and sail
- Selection and use of safety equipment
- Recreational Craft Directive compliance
- Flag etiquette
- Safety regulations
- Planning guidance
- Environmental advice
- Employment legislation
- Advice & guidance on building and growing their club, its facilities and activities.
- Dedicated club insurance arrangements
The RYA works to support clubs in a number of ways including
Legal and administrative advice on the running of clubs
- Child protection/CRB checks
- Health & Safety Advice
- Disability Discrimination advice
- In-house lawyers familiar with club issues
Support for club race management
- Locally based rules advisors
- Easy to use disputes process
- Online Portsmouth Yardstick
Supporting club growth with advice and help on
- Where to find grant aid and other funds
- Setting up training courses and events
Find books for your course at the RYA Shop
Our handy guide shows the books & DVDs that go with your course!