Becoming a Level 2 Race Coach
Am I suitable? What experience do I need? How do I book on to a course?
‘A qualified RYA Level 2 Racing Coach is a good club racer with personal knowledge of club and/or regional racing and a broad basis of coaching skills. They will be able to deliver and award Start (can be delivered and awarded at RTCs only), Intermediate and Advanced Racing where appropriate, working at RYA affiliated clubs or recognised training centres.’
The course to become an RYA Racing Coach L2 is an intense 2-3 days looking at the theory of coaching and applying it in a practical series of on the water exercises. Each candidate will be expected to run complete sessions including a brief, on the water exercises with feedback and a debrief. The aim of the course is to provide candidates with skills and techniques to coach racing to youth and adult sailors.
Racing Coach Courses consist of Dinghy, Keelboat and Windsurf.
Eligibility to become an RYA Racing Coach Level 2
- A UK sailor or sailors who are working with UK clubs or the British Sailing team
- Appropriate racing experience (good club racer)
- Appropriate current racing knowledge (classes/ pathways)
- RYA Powerboat Level 2 Powerboat Handling certificate
- Have an approved and valid RYA First Aid certificate, see guidelines see guidelines
- An RYA member
- Minimum age 16. Level 2 coaches aged under 18 should be appropriately supervised by an adult who is either a Senior Instructor or a Racing Coach Level 2 or above.
- Previous instructing experience is preferred but is not essential if the candidate has suitable alternative experience.
- Safe & Fun http://www.rya.org.uk/wheresmynearest/Pages/CourseDetail.aspx?code=SFC
APPLY FOR A RACE COACH COURSE
If you have any enquiries, please contact email@example.com
Setting up a Race Coach Level 2 course
Host a course to get those within your local area and club qualified.
RYA RCL2 Course Set Up Process
If you would like to set up an RYA Racing Coach Level 2 course at your home club, here are the things to consider before you contacting your RYA High Performance Manager.
To run an RCL2 course you need:
- 5/6 people for the course to run (6 being the maximum number of people)
- 5 single handed boats (Toppers/ Picos are fine)
- 1 Patrol Boat (eg rib)
- A indoor area (eg classroom) to brief / debrief
- 2 consecutive dates you would like to run the course
- A mentoring date within 6 months post course for the tutor to visit the coaches on an active coaching day
If you have any questions please direct them to your local RYA High Performance Manager - click here for details or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Find books for your course at the RYA Shop
Our handy guide shows the books & DVDs that go with your course!