Sub-menu Navigation

Boating Abroad

New UK–EU Relationship in 2021:

Changes in effect as of 2300 hours UTC on 31 December 2020.

You will have an obligation to report to UK Border Force when moving into and out of the UK by recreational boat.

You should expect greater scrutiny and requirements to report on arrival and departure, when moving between the UK and the EU and/or the Schengen area by recreational boat. 

If you are boating abroad and you find something is different or come across something new, please let us know by emailing 

If you are cruising the waters of another country, under the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, that country is quite within its rights to ask you to comply with its applicable legislation, rules and regulations. This may include, for example, requiring the skipper to prove his or her competence for that role; carriage of local publications or regulations is also often stipulated.

It is important that you are aware of your obligations prior entering another country's territorial waters.