The upcoming FREE Virtual Instructor Training Day on 13 March aims to ensure that Instructors are fully up-to-speed and prepared for a new season as soon as restrictions allow.
The packed agenda includes eight inspirational workshops from exciting national presenters, addressing a variety of disciplines and current hot topics, as well as crucial updates from Regional Development Officers and RYA Training.
A workshop from Hannah Cockle, OnBoard Operations Officer is not to be missed. Hannah will be exploring some of the resources and the support you can access, as well as looking at how to use them to run engaging practical sessions for everyone to help keep young people in the sport.
Hannah said: “There are a number of RYA programmes, including OnBoard, where there are some fantastic resources available to help support you deliver to a diverse audience.
During my session I will be explaining how Instructors can use a variety of these - including OnBoard Improver Sailing Session Cards and other RYA resources.
“The virtual format has the added benefit that Instructors from across the country can attend without the usual travelling involved to Instructor Days in the past. I hope to see many Instructors, from small craft instructors to assistant instructors, take advantage of this FREE day to get up to speed with all the very latest resources available to help run successful sailing sessions.”
Why is it important for my club?
This is the event to get your team of instructors and coaches ready for the season ahead:
- Find out about the CPD opportunities in your region for subsidised/free further training for volunteers and instructors
- Watch national presenters who are specialists in their field with a wide perspective on our sport and more
- Take advantage of the chance to watch multiple workshops - the event will be recorded, so you will be able to catch up on additional presentations afterwards and repeat sessions you found particularly valuable.
The workshop line-up also includes:
- Dave Mellor, RYA Coaching Development Manager, who will take a deep dive into Growth Mindset and how it should influence the way you teach, coach or instruct.
- Graham Stones, RYA Coach, Trainer and Examiner who works for Raymarine UK, who will look at some of the ways that modern marine electronics can be used to help you not only to navigate, but also to keep you safe and raise the alarm when afloat.
- Tris Best, RYA Trainer and co-founder of The Official Test Centre (OTC), who will look at foiling on both windsurf and dinghy, focusing on how changes to tech and the introduction to the training scheme has made it more accessible.
- Calum McNicol, accomplished Powerboat Trainer, sailor, kayaker and ocean rower, who believes that everyone has the potential to reach great heights and blends his sporting background with his recent academic research into coaching and coach education. He will explore the techniques instructors can use to maximise and optimise learning opportunities for students.
- Kate Fortnam, Campaign Manager for The Green Blue, who will share her passion for the natural environment and discuss new and updated instructor resources, designed to help you build upon your sustainable boating knowledge and pass on environmental best practice to students during RYA Courses.
- Chris Cousins, RYA Coach & Trainer and Dominic Coleman, RYA Yachtmaster™ Instructor and commercial skipper, who will explore the use of technology to enhance session delivery, and discuss some of the resources and platforms that are available to support modern and engaging delivery of RYA training sessions, whether remotely or in the classroom.
- Additionally, there will be a trade area online where you will be able to meet and question RYA staff and partners.
The RDO team are planning regional on-water CPD opportunities to follow the online event; these will be available across each region once restrictions allow.
Booking is straightforward; all you need to do is register on the RYA website. You will be sent login details, and you can wait until the event has begun to select which workshops you wish to attend.