We know from speaking to you, that many organisations are experiencing a shortage of instructors and racing coaches.
To better understand the demand for instructor and race coach courses, we’ve created a short survey for RYA affiliates and recognised training centres to complete by the deadline of 31 October 2023.
Take the survey
When we have an understanding of your needs, we will be able to help in a number of ways such as:
- Offer advice on setting up your own course
- Connect you with a local club or centre to run a course together
- Share details with you of courses that are running locally
Tips to grow your team
We’ve also put together our top tips to help you grow your team of instructors and racing coaches.
- Hold a ‘Discover Coaching or Instructing Day’: Consider hosting a taster day to give insight into the roles of Racing Coaches or Instructor, helping potential candidates understand what's involved. If your club is interested in attending or setting up a ‘Discover Coaching and Instructing’ event, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Run an RYA Assistant Instructor course: Implement an Assistant Instructor (AI) course, which can be delivered by the centre, reducing costs and barriers for prospective Dinghy or Windsurf instructors.
- Hold a RYA First Aid Course: Offer an RYA First Aid courses at your club or centre to fulfil a prerequisite for RYA Instructor courses, making it more convenient and cost-effective for candidates.
- Host a RYA Pre-Entry Assessment: Conduct preparatory sessions for RYA Dinghy Instructors or RYA Powerboat Instructors to ensure candidates are adequately prepared for their pre-entry assessments.
- Youth training: Invest in RYA Instructor or Racing Coach qualifications so that young individuals can benefit your organisation in the long term as many return after completing their education.
- Organise your own course: Running courses at your club or centre can be cost-effective, provided you have RYA recognition for the activity. Need help with this? Get in touch with the RYA Training department to assist in finding trainers and help to moderate the course.
- Collaboration with other clubs: Partnering with another club or centre can be a cost-effective way to run courses, with the added benefit of diverse experiences for instructors-in-training.
- Hold a Race Coach course: Consider hosting race coach courses at your club or for a group of clubs, with support available from the RYA. Email us at email@example.com to find out more.
- Cost Reduction: Explore the RYA's clubs funding support page for financial support options. Additionally, Active Partnerships in England may offer grants to offset training course expenses for volunteers.
For any questions for support or enquiries, contact your friendly Regional Development Officer, who can provide information on local opportunities and connect you with other clubs or centres.