Wimbledon Park Watersports Centre offers a range of activities for the whole community. The centre is run by Merton Council in London.
Using Sport England market segmentation, the club identified a strong presence of 18yr – 45yr old men within the local area. As a result, the centre established a club aimed specifically at adults wanting to get active and afloat in the summer evening.
The club offers:
- –Thursday evening sessions over a ten-week period. Times 6.30pm - 8pm
- –Flexible arrival time for session
- –Range of boats available. Single hander dinghies (Pico’s, Toppers), double handers (Wayfarer, L2000) and Access 303.
- –Group go for a curry at the end of the session (something the staff would do and then invite others to join – eight or so people would join this meal)
Outcome of the session:
- –The weekly session became popular very quickly.By the final session sixty new individual sailors were registered.
- –An average of twenty sailors attended the weekly sessions each Thursday.
- –The sailors were a mix of male and female.
- –Linked to Saturday sailing session and the planned winter racing series
- –Encouraged to undertake training courses
Cost of sessions
- –Annual membership for the Centre £50
- –Members session fee £5
- –Non–members session fee £10
May through summer period, Thursday evenings 6.30 – 8pm