Of course, this is just part of the plan. There are other factors to consider before making decisions about safety and participation.
- Where you are, the sailing area and the conditions on the day
- The type of activity and the boats / equipment being used
- The organisation’s scope of responsibility, liability and any constraints (e.g. insurance)
Staff and volunteers
A number of staff and volunteers are involved in helping deliver the activity so there is a need to consider:
- Their competence and experience
- The questions they have, the information they need and the training they need
- Balance discussing individual needs in a private environment and sharing information on a ‘need to know basis’
The conversation and the assessment made as a result leads to a decision about whether to go boating or not that both participants and the organisation are comfortable with, and is based on:
- Can we meet the needs of the participants?
- Will the participants enjoy the session and get what they want from it?
- What equipment and resources are needed to deliver safe activity?
- Are the staff and volunteers comfortable with the plan?
- Can we keep everyone safe?