The RYA would be pleased to receive reports of your experiences by email to


The information below is intended to provide answers to questions that come up regularly. It is not intended as a comprehensive guide and it has limited applicability. Please read the countries introduction to ensure that it is appropriate to you. The standard documentation a UK flagged pleasure vessel operating outside UK Territorial Waters should carry is detailed on the paperwork page.

UK Government travel advice

FCDO advice including information on permitted duration of stay and visas for Croatia:

Evidence of competence

For information on the validity of RYA certificates abroad see Evidence of Competence Abroad.

As noted on, it is essential to have evidence of your competence when boating in Croatia. A valid ICC should be acceptable evidence of competence as Resolution 40 has been formally adopted by Croatia.

If you are chartering a vessel in Croatia it is important to check, at the time of booking, that the evidence of competence you have will be acceptable. Details of the evidence of competence the Croatian Government is likely consider to be acceptable can be found in a document published at called Recognized certificates for operating boats and yachts.  Certificates issued by the UK can be found from number 62 to 77 in the table.

In the past people have had problems when they have discovered just before their charter is due to take place that their certificate is not sufficient for the size and GT of the boat they have arranged to charter.

Certificate Translation

Croatian translations of many RYA certificates and their related course syllabus are available from the RYA website

Standard entry and exit formalities

EU member state (part of the customs territory of the EU (which includes territorial waters)). Further information is provided on the Entry Exit Formalities page under Customs - EU Member States.

Part of the Schengen area.

As part of the customs territory of the EU (which includes territorial waters) and the Schengen area, customs and immigration checks may not always be required on arrival and departure. Further explanation and a list of border crossing points can be found on the Entry & Exit Formalities page under immigration - Schengen Area and Arriving in / departing from the Schengen Area.

Information on the procedure for entering Croatia by sea and fees that must be paid can be found on the Croatian Tourist Office website. More detailed information can be found in the Information for Sailors section towards the end of the Nautical Croatia brochure available to download (see page 1336 of the 2021 edition).

Changes from 1 January 2023

In December 2022, the European Council announced that checks on persons at internal land and sea borders between Croatia and the other countries in the Schengen Area would be lifted from 01 January 2023.

Prior to the removal of checks at sea borders between Croatia and the other countries in the Schengen area, all vessels were required to use the shortest route and to enter the closest port open to international traffic. It is assumed that this will remain the case for arrivals from outside the EU and Schengen Area. The rules may be relaxed for arrivals from within the EU and Schengen Area, however we have not yet seen any official information confirming that this will be the case and what reporting (if any) a recreational boat arriving from within the EU and Schengen Area must complete.

Arriving by road

The maximum allowed length and width of a towed vehicle in Croatia is 18.75m long and 2.55m wide. If either of these dimensions is exceeded, a special permit is required and escort is compulsory.

If you trailer a boat into Croatia, you must complete the necessary formalities including paying applicable taxes and fees prior to using the boat.

Under Croatian Law all boats that are longer than 2.5m or boats with engine power exceeding 5kW must be registered. For boats that do not exceed these dimensions UK registration may not be strictly necessary, for boats arriving by road, however local rules may mean that a vessel (especially a RIB or PWC) cannot be launched if it is not registered and without a registration document the owner has no way of proving that the vessel is a British ship.

Sojourn tax and other fees

Information on the Sojourn tax (including how to pay) and fees that must be paid in Croatia can be found on the Croatian Tourist Office website. More detailed information is included in the Information for Sailors section towards the end of the Nautical Croatia booklet available to download at (see page 136 of the 2021 edition).

Alcohol regulations

The Government foreign travel advice for Croatia (scroll down to Sea travel under Safety and security) advises that you should not consume alcohol if you intend to take charge of a boat in Croatia. A zero tolerance law has been adopted, with regard to the consumption of alcohol by those in charge of boats, with heavy penalties anticipated for anyone caught drunk in charge of a boat.

Additional documentation

The Information for Sailors section in the Nautical Croatia booklet indicates that you should have evidence that the boat is seaworthy. It is unclear exactly what a UK flagged boat should carry to comply with this requirement. However, to date the RYA has not heard of anyone experiencing difficulties with the authorities in respect of this requirement.

You should also have proof of third-party liability insurance and proof of ownership or power of attorney for the use of the vessel.

The document also makes reference to the T2L as possible evidence that a vessel has EU Status of Union Goods. For more information see the Evidence of Union Status paragraph on the Entry and Exit Formalities page.


Signatory to the Regional Arrangement Concerning the Radiotelephone Service on Inland Waterways (RAINWAT). Where a VHF is required or is to be used on the inland waterways of RAINWAT signatory countries, the set must be ATIS enabled and vessels must comply with the requirements of RAINWAT.

Croatia is a beautiful area to sail in, but as its popularity has increased, so too has the cost of visiting. Expensive moorings have been reported and in some places charges are also made for anchoring. 

Information about the Ministry of the Sea, Transport and Infrastructure’s Nautical Information service can be found at

External Resources

Nautical Croatian including information for sailors from page 136 of the 2021 edition 


Tourist Office

General Immigration Information for the Republic of Croatia

Croatian Embassy, London

British Embassy

Sailing in Croatia leaflet

Travel as a passenger and ferry ports Information

Ministry of the Seas, Transport and Infrastructure

Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration (Visa Information)

Hydrographic Institute of the Republic of Croatia

Croatian Meteorological and Hydrological Service