The RYA would be pleased to receive reports of your experiences by email to


The information below is intended to provide answers to questions that come up regularly. It is not intended as a comprehensive guide and it has limited applicability. Please read the countries introduction to ensure that it is appropriate to you. The standard documentation a UK flagged pleasure vessel operating outside UK Territorial Waters should carry is detailed on the paperwork page.

UK Government travel advice

FCDO advice including information on permitted duration of stay and visas for Italy:

Evidence of competence

For information on the validity of RYA certificates abroad see Evidence of Competence Abroad.

Evidence of competence is required (although seldom inspected). Italy has not adopted Resolution 40 but for a UK flagged vessel an ICC (valid for the vessel concerned) is generally acceptable and is recommended.

Italian translations of many RYA certificates and their related course syllabus are available from the RYA website. 

Standard entry and exit formalities

EU member state (part of the customs territory of the EU (which includes territorial waters)).  Further information is provided on the Entry & Exit Formalities page under Customs - EU Member States.

Part of the Schengen area.

As part of the customs territory of the EU (which includes territorial waters) and the Schengen area customs and immigration checks may not always be required on arrival and departure.

You must carry on board

Italian translation of your insurance document from your insurer. This is a document which is specific to Italy. It indicates that you have the required liability insurance in place. This document must include the serial number for any tender and or outboard the vessel is equipped with.  It is recommended that you check that you have the correct documentation with your insurer prior to going to Italy, to avoid a fine.


If you are considering visiting Venice and intending to explore the canals using your dinghy, be aware that boats with engines over 10hp are required to have temporary number plates, issued by the City of Venice (which are valid for no longer than 30 days).

The number plates can be obtained by completing a form which includes providing details of all the potential skippers and information about the boat.  Photocopies of valid identity documents for all applicants are also required together with a payment.

Procedure for applying for temporary number plates (in Italian)
Form to apply for temporary number plates (in Italian)

Other information