Marine Licensing - England

Information on the marine licensing process for English waters

Anyone carrying out operations in tidal and coastal waters will need to comply with marine licensing requirements.

The marine licensing system under the Marine and Coastal Access Act 2009 has been in force since 6 April 2011.

You are likely to need a marine licence if you are depositing or removing any substance or object either in the sea, on or under the sea bed. Deposits made from a vessel in the course of normal navigation or maintenance (e.g. launching, anchoring, flushing heads) are exempt but many works carried out by clubs (e.g. laying moorings, installing pontoons) are likely to require a licence.

For further information or specific advice, please email us at