Hosting visitors 

Are you covered for hosting visitors from another organisation? 

boat moored outside club

Many RYA affiliated organisations run trips to other clubs or centres. This type of event can be great fun, help to develop skills, and provide social activity around sailing. As with any type of activity, it is important to make sure that this is suitably insured. 

Gallagher works with the RYA to provide club, recognised training centre, and affiliated organisation insurance.

Ben Bennett (RYA Account Manager, Gallagher) has provided some guidance and answered some frequently asked questions on this topic.

Cover for RYA affiliated clubs

As an insurance provider for RYA-affiliated clubs, at Gallagher we know it’s important to consider and evaluate the risks of organising activities away from your usual facilities. For example, they may take place at an alternative RYA-affiliated club or recognised training centre premises. 

We recommend that all RYA-affiliated clubs and recognised centres take time to evaluate their individual exposure to risk as ensuring that suitable cover is in place and not making assumptive decisions remains of paramount importance to protect your organisation.

Please note that these frequently asked questions are not a substitute for the policy wording. For full terms and conditions, please see the policy documentation and, if in doubt, speak with your dedicated Account Handler.

Q. As the hosting club, would our existing insurance cover visitors for public liability and damage or loss of our boats and equipment being used by visitors?

A. The answer is no for visiting clubs running their own activities. Any visiting organisation must carry their own suitable public liability insurance to cover their activities and, in situations where they loan/borrow boats and equipment owned by the host venue, they must extend their own policy to cover the item(s) whilst being used by them.

However, members of another club visiting to take part in activities run by the hosting club can be covered if the visitors have been granted a temporary membership. See the below Q&A for more information.

Q. Would a visiting club/group need to be members of the hosting club for the duration of their stay?

A. This is a common requirement for many clubs – some club rules dictate that at least temporary membership should be granted, often to allow full use of host club equipment and to comply with insurance requirements of the host club. Often this can be for the recognised club/centre or group, so there’s no need for each member to seek this individually. Temporary membership can permit use of the facilities and equipment, as any other member would be entitled to do.

Q. If our policy does not cover use by third party groups, who is insured to sail our club boats?

A. Gallagher cover automatically extends to allow use by any member of a club (including individuals, families, groups, and affiliates), whether permanent or temporary, to use or hire club boats with the consent of the club and as part of a recognised and authorised club activity (including recreational sailing). The Gallagher policy also extends to provide cover for members who wish to take a club boat further afield for an event, with cover provided automatically for up to 30 days a year for European waters, including transit risks.

Q. Is the hosting club/centre or the visiting club/group responsible for having suitable insurance for the water sports activity undertaken by the visiting members?

A. This can depend on the level of organisation on the part of the host club/group. If the host venue is not the organiser of the activity, the liability can sit with the visiting club or group. If the host is the organiser, the liability could be their responsibility and not that of the visitors. Both parties should check their insurance policies to confirm.

Q. What if a club wants to take part in other on-the-water activities? For example, stand-up paddle boarding, open water swimming, and kayaking.

A. Check with the respective insurers. On the basis that such activities will be run by suitably qualified and competent individuals, with the guidelines/regulations of the appropriate National Governing Body followed at all times, the Gallagher policy can permit such additional water sports activity if they have been pre-agreed. If you are an existing Gallagher policyholder, please check with your dedicated Account Handler to confirm.

If you have a non-Gallagher policy, you should liaise with your own insurance advisor/provider on subjects such as these, given that responses may vary from insurer to insurer.

For further questions or advice regarding insurance, contact the specialist RYA Gallagher Team.

Information last updated May 2024.  

Royal Yachting Association is an Introducer Appointed Representative of Arthur J. Gallagher Insurance Brokers Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered Office: Spectrum Building, 55 Blythswood Street, Glasgow, G2 7AT. Registered in Scotland. Company Number: SC108909.