Inland Waterways Instructor


This page is for those wanting to train as Inland Waterways Instructors, who have a wide experience and knowledge on the inland waters of the UK, preferably on a variety of craft. 

Required Certificates

First aid certificate

RYA Inland Waterways Helmsman's certificate


Wide range of experience and knowledge of the inland waters of the UK, preferably on a variety of craft.

Course description

Three day course which may take place on canals or river ways. Generally, a narrowboat, barge or cruiser is used for the course. Assessment is on-going and moderated by a second Trainer on the third day. 


£497 (non-residential)

Upcoming courses 

Venue: Castaway Canal Boats, Bath

Dates: 19-21 May


Venue: Watercraft

Dates: 13-15 June


Venue: Castaway

Dates: 22-24 September


Venue: Castaway

Dates: 06-08 October


Venue: Kidlington

Dates: 17-19 October


For course dates and prices in Northern Ireland contact Mary Martin on

If the course(s) that you wish to attend is full, please click here and complete a form and you will be placed on the waiting list. We will contact you if/when a space becomes available.

Qualified to teach

RYA Inland Waterways Scheme


Five years from date of issue, provided that a valid first aid certificate is maintained.

RYA membership


Health declaration

You will be asked to sign a health declaration stating that you are not suffering from any physical or mental impairment which has an adverse effect on your ability to properly discharge your duty of care as an instructor. If you are unable to sign the standard declaration, you will be required to complete a medical questionnaire.

Related documents
Instructor revalidation form
Instructor observation form

Related pages
Who teaches what
Revalidate your instructor certificate
Tell us if you're available for work