The RYA would be pleased to receive reports of your experiences by email to


The information below is intended to provide answers to questions that come up regularly. It is not intended as a comprehensive guide and it has limited applicability. Please read the countries introduction to ensure that it is appropriate to you. The standard documentation a UK flagged pleasure vessel operating outside UK Territorial Waters should carry is detailed on the paperwork page.

UK Government travel advice

FCDO advice including information on permitted duration of stay and visas for Denmark:

Evidence of competence

For information on the validity of RYA certificates abroad see Evidence of Competence Abroad.

Evidence of competence is required for some powerboats under the Danish flag. The RYA has been advised that this requirement does not extend to foreign flagged boats.

For foreign flagged vessels, there is no specific requirement for evidence of competence other than that stipulated by the vessel's flag state.


Since May 2018, speed boats with a length under 15 metres, personal water craft and similar vessels including foreign flagged vessels, must be covered by a third party liability insurance. Details of what is required can be found in this flier or on the Danish Maritime Authority website

Standard entry and exit formalities

EU member state (part of the customs territory of the EU (which includes territorial waters)).  Further information is provided on the Entry & Exit Formalities page under Customs - EU Member States.

Part of the Schengen area.

As part of the customs territory of the EU (which includes territorial waters) and the Schengen area customs and immigration checks may not always be required on arrival and departure.

See Border control | Danish police ( for further information.

Holding tanks

See holding tanks for information on the discharge of waste water.