The RYA would be pleased to receive reports of your experiences by email to


The information below is intended to provide answers to questions that come up regularly. It is not intended as a comprehensive guide and it has limited applicability. Please read the countries introduction to ensure that it is appropriate to you. The standard documentation a UK flagged pleasure vessel operating outside UK Territorial Waters should carry is detailed on the paperwork page.

UK Government travel advice

FCDO advice including information on permitted duration of stay and visas for Finland:

Evidence of competence

For information on the validity of RYA certificates abroad see Evidence of Competence Abroad.

Although there is no specific requirement for evidence of competence other than that stipulated by the vessel's flag state, if asked a valid ICC should be acceptable evidence of competence as Resolution 40 has been formally adopted by Finland.

Standard entry and exit formalities

EU member state (part of the customs territory of the EU (which includes territorial waters)).  Further information is provided on the Entry & Exit Formalities page under Customs - EU Member States.

Part of the Schengen area.

Unless arriving from a country which is part of the Schengen area, you must arrive and depart through a port of entry and complete a customs declaration.

Holding tanks

See holding tanks for information on the discharge of waste water.

Other guidance

It is a punishable offence to operate a boat whilst under the influence of alcohol or drugs.