The RYA would be pleased to receive reports of your experiences by email to


The information below is intended to provide answers to questions that come up regularly. It is not intended as a comprehensive guide and it has limited applicability. Please read the countries introduction to ensure that it is appropriate to you. The standard documentation a UK flagged pleasure vessel operating outside UK Territorial Waters should carry is detailed on the paperwork page.

UK Government travel advice

FCDO advice including information on permitted duration of stay and visas for Greece:

Evidence of competence

For information on the validity of RYA certificates abroad see Evidence of Competence Abroad.

Evidence of competence is required. Greece has not adopted Resolution 40 but for a UK flagged vessel an ICC (valid for the vessel concerned) is generally acceptable and is recommended.

Greek legislation requires that all holders of foreign licenses also hold a letter from their respective Embassy or Consulate, certifying the competence of the issuing body (RYA in this instance) and present this accompanying letter to the Greek authorities upon inspection. A gratis generic informative note is available for download under ‘Prepare a document’ in English at If required, a personalised signed & sealed document available from the Consulate on payment of a fee. ICC holders are encouraged to carry the generic informative note when boating in Greece. 

Additionally Greek legislation requires that the certificate holder has a Greek translation of their certificate. A personalised translation is required therefore the translation the RYA has had on its website for many years isn’t sufficient. 

The RYA is looking to make translation, in the format required under the applicable Greek legislation available to certificates holders. Technical development to our certificate database is underway but is taking longer than we originally anticipated. Until we are able to launch that service anyone requiring a translation will need to use the services of a professional translator. A list of translators is published at

Standard entry and exit formalities

EU member state (part of the customs territory of the EU (which includes territorial waters)).  Further information is provided on the Entry & Exit Formalities page under Customs - EU Member States.

Part of the Schengen area.

As part of the customs territory of the EU (which includes territorial waters) and the Schengen area customs and immigration checks may not always be required on arrival and departure.


Private recreational ships which enter or are in Greek territorial waters and which are of a total length of over 7m in length, regardless of their flag state or the nationality of the owner must pay the Recreational and Daily Tour Cruise Ships Fee (TEPAI). Additionally professional recreational ships, professional daily tour cruise ships and recreational ships classified as a professional subject to laws applicable in another country are liable to pay TEPAI.

Official information can be found here with a brochure in English providing an overview of TEPAI, FAQs in English and a user manual for the eTEPAI application which provides guidance on registering in the eTEPAI application. Completing the registration process online generates the payment code that is needed for the fee to be paid. How to make the payment is outlined in the FAQs document.

Transit Log

Please note our knowledge of the transit log is evolving.

Third country (non-EU) boats in Greece are required to have a Transit Log. This applies to UK flagged boats arriving in Greece since 1 January 2021. 

For boats which are released for free circulation in the EU there is an 'unlimited' transit log. Boats which enter or are in the EU under temporary admission (see entry and exit formalities) the duration of the transit log will normally be limited. 

The transit log should be issued when you complete your entry formalities on arrival in Greece. 

As yet we are not aware of any official information detailing a requirement for UK flagged boats, which were already lying in Greece when the Brexit transition period ended at 2300 UTC on 31 December 2020, to obtain a transit log. It appears likely that it will only be necessary for such boats to be issued with a Transit Log if they leave Greece and return. 

Holding tanks

See holding tanks for information on the discharge of waste water.

Other guidance

  • You must carry a Greek translation of your insurance document on board showing that you have the required level of cover - your insurer should provide this.
  • Ensure that your courtesy flag is in good condition.
  • Any informal loan of a boat should be covered by written authority from the owner.


Hellenic National Meteorological Service:

Meteo Greece: