The RYA would be pleased to receive reports of your experiences by email to


The information below is intended to provide answers to questions that come up regularly. It is not intended as a comprehensive guide and it has limited applicability. Please read the countries introduction to ensure that it is appropriate to you. The standard documentation a UK flagged pleasure vessel operating outside UK Territorial Waters should carry is detailed on the paperwork page.

UK Government travel advice

FCDO advice including information on permitted duration of stay and visas for Sweden:

Evidence of competence

For information on the validity of RYA certificates abroad see Evidence of Competence Abroad.

A valid certificates is required for operating a personal watercraft (PWC) in Sweden. Foreign citizens operating a PWC must be over the age of 15, must carry international ID or their passport and have a certificate valid for PWC issued by their national authority. 

Otherwise, there is no specific requirement for evidence of competence other than that stipulated by the vessel's flag state.

Standard entry and exit formalities

EU member state (part of the customs territory of the EU (which includes territorial waters)).  Further information is provided on the Entry & Exit Formalities page under Customs - EU Member States.

Part of the Schengen area.

As part of the customs territory of the EU (which includes territorial waters) and the Schengen area customs and immigration checks may not always be required on arrival and departure. 

Non-nordic citizens arriving in Sweden other than from a Nordic country must notify a passport control centre.

If your boat is in Sweden under Temporary Admission and you need to leave Sweden but the boat is remaining there, you should notify customs.

For further information relevant to pleasure vessels traveling from a non-EU country to Sweden see

Holding tanks

See holding tanks for information on the discharge of waste water.